Sunday, January 23, 2005


We've been a bit busy in the last few months....
On New Year's Eve, we walked on to a beach in beautiful Waimea Bay and said our vows in front of family and a few friends, followed by an amazing picnic, some music and a swim...Hawaiian style.

The forecast said the North Shore of Oahu would get 60 mi/hr winds and rain that day. Miraculously, the morning was clear. We were staying at Backpackers hostel in Pupukea with 7 friends and got up early in the morning. Partially due to nerves, partially the friendly neighborhood roosters milling about and declaring morning starting at 3 AM.

After some celebratory, morning Mimosas, the groom went out to the beach with a few friends to reserve a spot we had staked out earlier in the week. We were going to position ourselves near a beautiful tree canopy, next to Mark Foo's (world famous surfer and the founder of Backpackers) memorial.

I, the bride, had some unfinished cake business to take care of. Unfortunately, the fridge at the cabin was not the best ever and I found both cakes I'd made the day before, floating in syrapy goo. It had weakened the cardboard boxes and they had to be taken out of the fridge for repairs....I wasn't quick enough and the household pets =ants got to the big cake before I could fix it. Needless to say, that cake was history.

We seremoniously threw it out into the communal garbage, after a few guests had taken a taste of it. Apparently some of our friends are much more adventurous than I am. To make up for the missing cake, I marched into the nearby Foodland, declared cake emergency and bought a plastic cake box for the remaining creation. Just in case, I also purchased another cake.

It was time to get ready (and to send for the groom, still at the beach). After showers, we took a few minutes to follow a Hawaiian tradition of the bride and groom rubbing sweet-smelling lotions on each other, in preparation for the ceremony. Coconut was our chosen tropical scent.

It was getting close to 1 PM, our start time, and we made our way out to Waimea.

Some of the guests had already arrived and the family was setting up the tent for the picnic. Promptly at 1 PM, the skies opened and the water started trickeling down. The wedding party huddled under the tent and waited. After about 15 minutes, the rain stopped. We had gotten our Hawaiian wedding blessing and were ready to begin. The rain had also allowed for those on 'island time' to get to Waimea before the ceremony.

The groom's father officiated the ceremony, which was influenced by Finnish, Quaker, Apachee and Tao traditions. Friends and family got to give us their blessings, which were varied in form. The groom's mother spoke with a voice of three mothers, including those we missed in presence. Two of our friends provided the processional music in the beginning and a song of our choosing; Cheap Trick's Mandocello.

We had written our own vows:

"From this day forward, I promise to share my life's journey with you through full moons and deep blues. I ask for your heart and your spirit as my life's companion. I give you my loyalty, bring you my creativity, and I offer you my love for all eternity."

After the ceremony, we indulged with wonderful home made picnic foods. We had a toast (non-alcoholic, since we were in a public area) and cut the cake (upon which task it became clear that I would determine 'where the cupboard stood in the family'..Finnish for 'who wears the pants'.) The garter was caught by a friend of the grooms from San Francisco. We had had our first kiss on his couch...many moons ago.

The men in the wedding party decided to take a little swim in the ocean after all this. What a great way to end the party.

Slowly, we packed up and made our way to the cabin to prepare to receive the New Year. We had dinner at Breakers in Haleiwa town, returned to the cabin and fought to stay awake until midnight. We toasted for New Year in New York, then for Central States, California and finally Hawaii.

That night, the roosters did not wake us at 3 AM. They were probably recovering from heart attacks brought on by excessive amounts of loud fireworks.


Blogger allysther said...

Wonderful, wonderful, and more wonderful!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home